How, you may ask, can we "reclaim" the internet? Through a barrage of blogs/social media accounts/Youtube channels/websites dedicated to propagating the truth!
I recently attended the 2017 Girl Up Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C. and I led a workshop on how to become a successful online activist about whatever issue and on whatever medium that you feel passionate about. It was a great experience and I hope that it helped girls find their voices. In order to win the fight against fake news and Donald Trump, it is imperative for everyone with an opinion (so, hopefully, everyone) to become online activists and battle against the shit we are currently experiencing. Here are 10 steps to get you started.
- Find your passion - do you want gender equality? to end world hunger? find what speaks to you.
- Pick your medium - do you like to write? try a blog. do you like to speak? try youtube. do you like to draw? try making an instagram.
- Find your voice - what do you have to say? write what you think. say what you think. draw what's in your imagination.
- Make your art - incorporate the topic you're passionate about into your work. use your art to influence, to raise awareness, & to empower.
- Use social media - promote your work on twitter/instagram/facebook/whatever. use many #hashtags.
- Use your connections - tell your friends/family about your work. they'll share it & their friends & their friends... will know about your work.
- Work with others - join up with a preexisting organization that has a similar goal. you can blog/lobby/connect with them & you'll find a community of people interested in your work!
- Make work regularly - set a schedule for yourself & generate new content at least once a week. you'll get into a rhythm & people will start to expect/look forward to your new work.
- Be a badass - take risks with your work! talk about taboo subjects & break boundaries. it's important -- others will appreciate new ideas & perspectives.
- Be unafraid - people will listen to what you say. your voice is important & necessary. you will make a difference.